RRR Austin

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Balancing our Days (non real estate related)

I wake up most mornings with my mind racing, even if my physical body is in a coma!

Let's see what am I doing today? Let's look at my tasks on my Treo 650...hmmm? 40 items dated for today, 15 leftoever from yesterday that weren't accomplished.

Let's see...let me prioritize these...make the kids lunches for school, mow the lawn, answer emails, fix the leaky faucet (this one has been carrying daily for 2 months), show properties, send out mailers, walk the dog, attend MCE class, take wifey out to dinner, go to kids soccer game, Eat at least once today, blog, call past clients, exercise for 30 min, call current clients, on and on.

There just isn't enough hours in the day!

For me I try to provide a balance between the four catagories in this order:

1.Family

2.Church / Service

3.Work / Education

4.Play / Personal Development

I have to put play on the list otherwise it either won't get done, OR it will be all I do!

It's funny how "Work" is on the bottom half of the list but it's what takes up most of my time. Admittedly I sometimes excuse myself by saying, the more I work, the more I'll have time to do the others down the road. Yet, there should be a balance in our lives to provide a more enriching life.

Many new or aspiring agents don't realize that being a REALTOR means working for yourself and self employed people typically don't work a 40 hour week. There is no "union" or regulatory organization that says if you do work more that you'll be given a "bonus" or "overtime pay".

I don't think it's necessarily a "luxury" to use technology as much as in many cases I think of it as a "necessity". Some of the tools we have at our hands allows us to have more time for the other things in life. Utilizing "people" is also a good tool to provide balance.

Here are some thoughts on reasons for the balance of each topic:

1. Family - It was once said, "That no success can compensate for FAILURE in the HOME." (Married or NOT)

2. Church / Service - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. We've heard over and over from successful people of the world how they feel that they received "back" as much and more than what they "gave".

3. Work / Education - I once heard, "Idle time is the devil's time." How many bad things occur in this world because someone had too much time on their hands? Most of the mischeif at least in this country is NOT caused by the lazy, it's caused by the energetic with nothing else to do! The old New Testament scripture often used in movies states, "And the truth shall set you FREE". Continued education allows our minds to be enlightened which actually makes us feel better.

4. Play / Personal Development - The old proverb of "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man/woman healthy, wealthy & wise" applies here, as well as the numerous studies of the positive effects that regular exercise has with our "state of mind". Relaxation is positive, but in excess can be destructive.

JUST SOME THOUGHTSSS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home